Rislyn Group LLC » FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that, as clients, you may have several questions about what we do. We’ve compiled a list of some of our most frequently asked questions to help you understand how our process works.

What is the difference between snagging, grubbing, clear-cutting, and land clearing?

Snagging typically refers to removing dead objects such as dead trees, bushes, and vines. However, it may include overgrown live vegetation above ground as well. The general purpose of snagging is to create a more favorable aesthetic appeal or create walking or service paths.

Grubbing refers to removing unwanted vegetation from the ground, such as roots, stumps, and rubbish. It may be used to create a positive aesthetic appeal. However, grubbing is usually required when the land needs to be prepared for various construction services (house pads, secondary roads, etc.) or land access points for utilities.

Clear cutting is the removal of tree trunks. The stumps, roots, and rubbish would remain. Logging companies would use this service. Land clearing is the removal of dead and live vegetation as well as trees. It includes snagging and grubbing if necessary. This service is requested when an entire area (large or small) needs to be cleared and usually has a purpose for the land: house pads, secondary roads, land access points, etc.

Do I need a permit to clear land?

This answer depends on your city or parish requirements. Typically, the answer is yes. Generally, a disturbance permit is required. Compared to most permits, this permit is simpler than others.

The disturbance permit requires that you submit the location and scope of work. Sometimes, a drawing may be needed to support the request. The permit office is looking to determine if the scope of work you are proposing will affect surrounding areas.

If the scope of work includes clearing five or more acres, a Notice of Intent (NOI) has to be filed and approved with DEQ.

Why does the city or parish require permission to move the dirt to my property?

Not all cities or parishes require permission to move the dirt to your property; however, most do. There is a natural flow for stormwater drainage. The city or parish will review your request to move dirt onto your property and determine whether the addition of dirt will impede or redirect the flow of stormwater drainage.

Should I install a culvert or a bridge?

Both the culvert and bridge accomplish the same objective—to create an access point to your property (or another side of your property). While they achieve the same goal, factors to consider would be aesthetics, the width of the access point, and water flow. In turn, all three factors affect cost.

A culvert is a pipe that creates a passage for water flow. A bridge is a free-span structure that lies from bank to bank. While bridges are free spans, culverts impede water flow. The city or parish may require a drainage survey to document the amount of stormwater that flows through the access point.

Do I need to obtain a permit to clear overgrowth from my property?

Most parishes do not require property owners to obtain a permit to clear overgrowth. Overgrowth is generally defined as all brush and small trees up to three or four inches in diameter and four feet in height, depending on the county.

However, you should always check with your city/county for specifics, as some cities/parishes are increasingly stringent than others!

Does clearing land increase the value of a property?

Land clearing is frequently referred to as a simple way to keep your property in good condition. It also improves its appearance and adds long-term value. It is well known that clearing land, overgrown brush, and unsightly trees increase property value. The property will be more appealing to prospective buyers if opened up and expanded in terms of land use potential.

Understanding how much the value increases is determined by the difference between before and after the project. Clearing out overgrowth can enlarge the feel of a property, giving it a greater sense of value and aesthetic enjoyment for homeowners who own a large area of unmaintained land.

Who can carry out demolitions?

Demolition is a multifaceted process that includes structural dismantling, site clearance, environmental cleanup, salvage, recycling, and recovery. As a result, state agencies outline many guidelines, and specific licensing is required to deal with various stages of the demolition process.

Rislyn Group LLC is fully insured and licensed to perform all contractual work during a complete demolition. Contact us to learn more about our license permit.

Is it possible for tree stumps that have not been ground to cause property damage?

Live tree root systems can and will cause damage to foundations, sidewalks, driveways, and septic systems. Live tree root systems can continue to grow in old tree stumps. The tree’s roots begin small and work into cracks and tiny holes in whatever they can reach.

Do you remove swimming pools?

Yes, we remove pools, warehouses, and much more. There is no project too small or too large for us to consider, so get in touch with us today for all your needs and rest assured that we will do our best to assist!

Can I remove my debris without hiring a professional?

When it comes to debris removal, homeowners who want to do it themselves are allowed to do so. However, it’s important to remember that you’ll still have to follow local environmental and safety standards and requirements.

If you’re unsure what these are, your best bet might be to find a qualified debris removal contractor who can ensure that your debris removal process adheres to these regulations. Get in touch with our experts to see how we can help.